Final Reflection

In reviewing my reflections and experiences at West, I feel that many of the same messages were evident. My most pivotal takeaway from this centralized the importance of acknowledging the individuality of students at all levels. I also became more mindful about how best to engage with students, both on a personal level and with the materials brought into the classroom. This field site has made me more aware of the importance of cultural differences that could affect student's performance in an education system that caters to the white, middle-class population. In Module 3, Patel addressed Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's notorious TedTalk about "The Danger of a Single Story," which has become a staple in many teachers' curricula since its release in 2009. The video and its message continue to be paramount in our society with our ongoing battles against prejudice, and utilized as a tool for understanding each other better as human beings. That being said, Adichie's talk, and Patel's commentary about it, were certainly relevant this semester with my field site. When working with students who have such diverse backgrounds and experiences in relation to myself, it required me to be acutely aware of how I would interact with them. I wanted to be aware of my own unconscious biases about emergent bilinguals and not reinforce them when engaging with these students. It was all about focusing on how I could best support these students. The modules we covered in class were very insightful at assisting me doing so and allowing me to implement new efficient strategies. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 12th, 2021

April 9th, 2021

April 2nd, 2021